It’s no exaggeration that the heart is a vital organ in our bodies, and sometimes we just don’t take as much care of it until a problem sets in.
This is such a huge topic to talk about in such a small column covering all sorts of conditions from blood pressure to cholesterol, angina, strokes and the list goes on… so I will just focus on a few preventive measures.
I often talk about stress and diet and again they both play a huge role in keeping the cardiovascular system healthy.
Increasing your daily intake of EFAs(Essential Fatty Acids) which are essential for blood circulation. These are also known as Omega 3 and omega 6 found in oily Fish Including Mackerel, Salmon, Sardines, Seeds like Flax, Pumpkin, Chia and Nuts especially Walnuts almonds or brazils.
Recent studies show that a daily glass of Beetroot juice may help to lower blood pressure, Eating a balanced range of Fruit and vegetables that are deep in colour are rich in antioxidants again needed to help keep the heart in check!!
A few Herbs and Remedies I recommend to help combat Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Co Enzyme Q10 and Selenium may reduce the risk of cardiac mortality by more than 50%
- Red yeast rice and Garlic to help maintain normal blood cholesterol levels
- Hawthorn berry tea or Magnesium to help with muscle function around the heart
- Vitamin E is known for its blood thinning properties as is the herb Ginkgo Biloba and are both useful in treating conditions such as tinnitus and Raynaud’s disease
- I won’t dwell on about the things we need to reduce in our diet and life style but I do recommend we stop and listen to our heart beat every now and then and just realise how important it is.
For more information contact Jacqui Maxwell on 02890 471333
Natures Way, 305 Upper Newtownards Road, Belfast, BT4 3JH